Production A


1600 Productions

Drift Rods

Unlimited Bangers

Micro Bangers
Standlake Arena
26 FEBRUARY 2017

Standlake’s second meeting of the year was run in much warmer conditions than we’d enjoyed a fortnight earlier, and it again stayed dry apart from a few spots of rain during the finals. That was just as well as it was a much longer day, due mainly to a massive turnout of Bangers for whom the “Three Litre” sponsored meeting is invariably one of the highlights of the year.

The OUTLAW F2s/SUPERSTOX were topping the bill, with the Hot Rods having a week off, but as several of the regulars and newcomers weren't quite ready, there was only a 7 car grid, less than half of last year’s average turnout, although we’re confident that the numbers will soon pick up again. They still laid on interesting racing with three different winners. Expo winner Ryan Cunningham looked out of place as a white top in the first heat and took a runaway win before being placed in his rightful red grade for the rest of the day. Ex-Prod A racer Tom Major, having his first open-wheel outing, led most of the second heat before Harley Cornock took over and held off Andy Webb to the finish.  With rain falling in the closing stages, Gary Webb took a clear win in the final over Harley Cornock, Andy Miller and Roger Mountney, with Andy Webb and Ryan Cunningham completing the finishers after an early tangle, while Tom Major had a few close encounters with the armco.


Last time out the DRIFT RODS were down on numbers but they certainly made up for it this time with 23 cars on the grid and typically hectic action. First round winner Steve Argrave came out on top again in the first heat, but in the second heat there was no catching the Sierra of Jason Cuddihy. In the final the Sierra did eventually get caught but Jason held on well to take the win from the BMWs of Daryl Simmonds, Luke Martindale and David Cooper, with Tom Evans’ Lexus and Tracey Green’s BMW completing the top six. Meanwhile, despite the best efforts of David Wilson in his Jag, the “best drifter” award went to Steve Hart’s big Lexus.


The JUNIORS didn’t quite manage to repeat their almost incident free performance from the opening meeting and there was the odd tangle as the quicker drivers found their way round the novices. White grader Kieran Chapman put up his best showing so far when he led the first heat nearly all the way; Zak Moores and Lewis Saunders caught him with two to go and Zak had to go round the outside at the last corner to snatch the win from Kieran. Again Kieran led the way in the second heat, but this time it was William Breakspear who headed the red grade chargers and took the lead in the closing stages, just holding off Lewis Saunders. Louis Rayner again saved his best drive to the end, taking his second final win in a row. Ben Chrisp’s uniquely painted car held off Luke Holdsworth and Jack Bunyan for second , while Kieran Chapman took fifth from Lewis Saunders, Henry Strickland, Zak Moores and William Breakspear, who’d earlier been accidentally spun out.


Another big field of 1600 PRODUCTIONS lined up – 25 of them altogether this time, and once again they (nearly) all managed to keep their noses clean although there were a couple of scrapes in the heavy traffic. Chris Dyer’s Fiesta got away from the front to win heat one, while Dale Hall’s Cicic made it all the way from the back to take second, helped by the 20-lap distance – Standlake give everyone value for money by stretching the laps the more cars there are on track. Next time out Kyle Carpenter in a Rover 216 GTi made it through from the blue grade to win, chased by Dean Quinsee’s 1400 Saxo. The final saw regular front runners Dale Hall and Liam Hanley caught up in a tangle, but it was a close race at the front at Sam Smith’s Focus was caught by Steve Cooper’s civic and Kyle Carpenter, with the Focus hanging on to win.


The PRODUCTION As were again out in good numbers, with 16 starting their first heat. Katy Kerbey made the early running but Tongham driver Jason Cornell was getting his Micra sliding well on the greasy track and this actually proved very effective as he took the lead at half distance and survived a challenge by Kyle Williams to win from Kevin Passey and Kyle. Second time out Wayne Chapman took a lead that he held until Rob Little took over with five laps to go. Rob then lost out to a last corner outside pass by Aaron Charles’ Micra. In the final Wayne Chapman wasn’t caught until the last two laps and it was Rob Little who eventually hit the front and held on to win as the top ten cars all closed up together, Wayne took second from Aaron Charles, Peter Tilley, Kyle Williams, the opening day final winner Chris Gregory, James Strickland, Paul Beer, Matt Kerbey and Kelvin Passey.


The BANGERS came in both Unlimited and Micro varieties, with over 30 cars turning out in the big class and 75 in the Micros, which meant adding a couple of extra heats to the programme to allow the Micro Banger racers to reduce the national stock of Bubble Micras by another 50 or so! Both classes got stick in, in fairly spirited fashion, resulting in a few red flags but keeping the large crowd very well entertained.


Standlake’s season continues on 12 March with the Hot Rods back in action and the addition of the very popular ladies’ Bangers to the regular programme.